Daisy’s small storage

Posted on

I really enjoy decorating storage items and this small mdf tray is perfect for paints or bottles. I have recently attended a workshop with Kate Crane at Ministry of Mixology and wanted to practise the techniques I learned with her.

First I laid out all the pieces and checked where they would fit, the dividers have a different fittings front and back. I used Decoart paint.

The colours were layered up from pale to dark. Remember to do both sides of each piece, I always manage to miss one side!I dried each colour before adding the next layer.

When I assembled the tray the front looked bare so I added a large mdf arrow and the word, create. The edges were all painted black and had a hint of treasure gold applied.

These trays are available from
Daisy’s and Jewels

Gypsy Fayre

Posted on


Hi Everyone,

Candice is our challenge host at Our Creative Corner this month. I love her vibrant work and she has reflected that in her theme….

Look at those colours!

Candice says

“Blessed are the gypsies. The makers of music, artists, writers, dreamers of dreams, wanderers and vagabonds, children and misfits: for they teach us to see the world through beautiful eyes

 This month’s challenge invites you to let us see your gypsy nature.

 Gypsies are wanderers, purveyors of exquisite things, mysterious things, free-spirited bohemians curating the beauty of life and sharing the wonders with you as the travel along.
 So for the challenge let your creativity run wild and free like a gypsy

I want you to create interesting items you might imagine finding at a traditional Gypsy Fayre”

You may create whatever your gypsy heart desires, but it must….

contain at least 3 colours from the featured colour palette


  show us how your project is inspired by this gorgeous ode to the gypsy soul!

So craft with the soul of a gypsy and share the wonder with us.
Create little trinkets or curious items that could be found at a Gypsy Fair

I began by trying to imagine what an old fashioned gypsy might have in her caravan, I discounted making wooden pegs!! I thought she might have a collection of colourful fabrics, metal charms and useful bits and bobs.


I read somewhere that Romany Gypsies originated in India and travelled over Europe, so I began with a piece of sari silk. Luckily I had a piece that had some of the lovely colours in the palette.

I backed it with white felt to show the colours off and mounted it in an embroidery hoop the gypsy might have salvaged. I painted the hoop black.


The lace and muslin were soaked in tea overnight, love that subtle colour! The charms were attached to a safety pin, they had been treated with Distress Crayon, Treasure Gold and Quin Gold paint. I added ribbon to make a wall hanging.

I hope it sells at the Gysy Fayre!

The sponsor this month is Tando Creative, and one lucky person will win a prize!

I hope you are inspired to create a trinket for our challenge,
Jan x

A Vintage Journey Doorhanger

Posted on



Welcome to my blog,

I decided to travel with A Vintage Journey on their new challenge.

I had to use grey board ( Doorhanger and perfume bottle), metal ( butterfly and charm), lilac/ purple colour and rust technique ( Distress Vintage Photo embossing Powder and Quin Gold Decoart paint).

When I read that lilac and purple were the colours to use I remembered old perfume bottles smelling of lavender belonging to my Nana, so that became my inspiration.

I really enjoyed creating the background. I started with white gesso then shades of purple paint which were then script stamped. I added White heat embossed butterflies and pearlescent texture paste through stencils. Mostly Tim products!


The perfume bottle had a coat of gesso then purple paint. When it was dry I covered it with Decoart Crackle Glaze then Antiquing cream in white to highlight the cracks. I had some perfume bottle stamps which I heat embossed onto tracing paper and coloured with spectrum noir pens.



The ribbon and flowers were dyed with DI, wilted violet and Dusty Concord. The metal butterfly and charm had treasure gold rubbed on and then pearls added.

The rust was created with Vintage Photo embossing powder heated then diluted Quin Gold dripped on top to run down. Very satisfying process!!!


Jan x


Communique Mirror for Jones

Posted on


I was really excited to receive the new Graphic 45 Communique papers and wanted to make something special with them. I covered a cheap IKEA mirror, £1.50 when I bought it!
I covered the wood in paper and made a frame from strips for the mirror. Then the fun began, making a collage of camera and photo related images.
I finished off with some of Tims Found Relatives and added fragments. I used a fragment as a lens for the larger image.
Hope you enjoy looking, here are close ups of the corners.




Jan x