G45 Greenhouse Thermometer

Posted on

image

Hi Everyone
Here is my latest creation for Jones using Graphic 45 Rare Oddities Collection. This was quite a challenge as a lot of the papers in the collection are Halloween orientated and I had in mind what I wanted to make, something useful, a Greenhouse Thermometer for my husband. The papers are beautifully coordinated in colour so that once I started the mojo flowed!

I bought a canvas board, 12 x 10 ins, for the base so I had a sturdy foundation. It had a couple of coats of black Gesso. I chose “Charmed I’m Sure” paper for the background, inked and rounded the edges after cutting it to size (11.5×9.5ins). I used a good layer of Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue to secure it and brayed over the top to ensure it stuck.

image

Now it gets interesting! I cut out the cabinet and central portion from “Rare Oddities” paper. Then I scored along the edge of the middle pillars, so when it was folded it fitted the background. I inked the edges of the pillars to define them, using Vintage Photo Distress Ink.

I built up a layer of old corrugated card to support the top and bottom middle sections of the cabinet. The card is not visible and a similar colour.

image

I managed to find a variety of cheap garden thermometers at The Range, they varied in price from Β£1.99 to 40p!
I chose a plastic, shaped one with suckers on the back as it raised the thermometer to a good height and fitted into the cupboard aperture. I covered it with “Frightfully Sweet” but it looked dull, so I cut out and layered pieces from the reverse side of the paper. I used the sections that mentioned plants. All the pieces were inked. I cut out a strip for the thermometer but it became invisible over the background. A strip of pale paper on the back sorted that problem.

image

This is the back of the thermometer, you can see the patchwork pieces I used and the original bird pattern.

image

The suckers were held on with shiny, silver screws which didn’t match. They had a quick coat of DecoArt Quinacridone Gold paint, I also dribbled watered down paint to look like rust marks.

image

The chipboard and Cardstock die cuts in the set had so many lovely things to use I was spoilt for choice! These are the ones I chose to use. I gave the title and the butterflies a good coat of Glossy Accents, to seal and shine.

image

At this stage it still needed something else to finish it off. I took the butterfly theme and used “Brews and Potions” with Tim Holtz Butterfly Duo, die cut and texture fade. I used black archival to ink the folder before running the butterflies through. I think that gives them better definition.

image

The whole piece will be in my husbands greenhouse, so to protect it I painted a good layer of Matt Medium over the top. The envelope details were picked out when it was dry with Glossy Accents for contrast.Β (I thought he can keep labels in the envelopes.)
Finished!

I hope you like it and are inspired to create using these lovely papers.

Hugs
Jan x


2 thoughts on “G45 Greenhouse Thermometer

  1. Jan! OMG! That is a thermometer!! I was drooling over the picture before I started reading your process and SOOOOO COOL! It Is A Thermometer! I love this, Jan! I bet your hubbie did, too πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ I hope he found a perfect place for it πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ XOXO-Shari

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *