Wow, it’s November already, we seem to be well into Autumn, here in England!
Our challenge this month at Our Creative Corner is…..
–– hosted by our lovely Lys.
This is what she says…..
“We often try to do the ‘right’ way, use the suitable thing, organize our creations following definite lines or intentions… and sometimes it doesn’t go the way we wanted to. Sometimes it goes to the bin, sometimes we discover something new… and we love it!
On the right side or topsy turvy… Is there a right side in art?
So let’s play!: whatever it is: upside down, inverted, reversed or escaping from the right order…. Please show me one “topsy turvy” creation, and how it came to life in your hands.”
I have been fascinated by reflections in water and love taking photos of interesting compositions to scrapbook. When Lys put up the challenge I thought of the photos I had taken in New Zealand at the Mirror Lakes. It was an amazingly eerie place, you were not quite sure which way up everything was because the signs could only be read in the reflections!
This is how I created my scrap page.
I wanted to experiment with Brushos, not having much success in the past this was also part of the challenge. I wanted to create lines of symmetry so I folded the paper slightly lower than half way down and sprayed water along the crease and at the top. I had put needle holes in the top of the Brusho lids and shook the powder on the crease and top half only. I sprayed water again and quickly folded the paper to create a monoprint. I heat dried, sprayed, heat dried until I liked the effect. I used linen effect 12×12 white paper. I waterbrushed the edges and then tore to create lovely wavy lines. However some of the invisible Brusho powder was on the edge and turned blue with the waterbrush, interesting effects! Quite Topsy Turvy!
I decided to try a vertical line of symmetry using texture paste and TH layering stencil. I folded the page vertically, scraped the paste through the stencil on the left hand side, cleaned the stencil, flipped it and scraped more paste through. I was pleased with the result. I used Dreamweaver Pearlescent Texture Paste, love how the colours underneath shine through.
I wanted the Journalling to be symmetrical and experimented with TH thinlet word dies. I stuck plumbers tape onto card and die cut the word at the top. So far so good, the letters came out easily! The second cut was on the back, lined up underneath the first, this was not so easy to get the letters out. I think it looks effective.
The LO needed a shot of yellow to balance the Mirror Lakes sign. I used chipboard letters, originally brown and patterned. They were heat embossed with yellow enamel then gold glitter and more enamel to embed the sparkle.
It doesn’t show to well on the photo but the pearl texture paste, the NZ glitter and silver Journalling really shine.
The paper I mounted the page onto was DI inked with Iced Spruce, Pumice Stone,and a hint of Hickory Smoke to match the colour of the rushes.
I hope you are inspired to join our challenge for November.
We have some great prizes sponsored by Decoart.
I wish you luck, have fun!